Popular Posts

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

And who are you?????

First and foremost, I am a mother to two beautiful children.  A little boy who is almost 3 and a baby girl who is 7 months.   They are my everything, the very reason why I am still doing what I am doing today.  What might that be?  I am your average family daycare provider.  As if two children were not enough, Monday through Friday, we invite 4 other delightful children into our home.  Glamorous?  No Freaking Way!  There are many days where I look at my shirt and have to discern what exactly is all over it.  What did we have for lunch?  Is that paint or something from someone's leaky diaper?  I listen to the not so sweet sound of babies crying for about 3 hours a day (To be clear I am talking about the 9 hours that I have 4 extra humans with me).  To put it mildly life is hectic, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

I starting watching children in my home six years ago.  It started with one little boy and a few months down the line, we added another.  It didn't take long for the phone to start ringing with people asking me to watch their children.  The area that we live in does have a fantastic day care down the road from me, but there (at the time) was nothing else.  While our small town does have people who can afford that cute day care facility, the many small towns surrounding us, couldn't.  There was a strong need for another option in our area.  After a lot of debating with my then fiance, I decided after our wedding to go ahead and get registered as a Family Day Care Provider (a story for another day).

I have never regretted my choice.  I went to college (and finished the program) to become a history teacher.  The last semester you are sent to student teach (one thing I wish NYS would change) - during that time I learned something that would change my life: I really hated high schoolers (not all, but the disrespectful ones, ruined it for the rest).  During that small window of time, each night and sometimes mornings, I would cry at the thought of returning to that school.  I knew then, that this was something I just shouldn't do (I am sure that my father loved that).  So I received my diploma and tried to figure out what I wanted to do.  I did a few odd jobs, but then that one little boy fell into my lap.  Amazingly over that 6 year period, I have rarely dreaded the next day to come.  I had found what I was destined to do, it was chaos, but it was welcomed chaos!

No comments:

Post a Comment